iWork and Google Drive

In my last post, I discussed Google Drive and the Coeur d'Alene Schools District's Google Apps for Education domain. Now, we have more ways to integrate this resource with apps that don't support Google Drive with in-app connections. One such application is the iWork suite offered by Apple (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote).

At first glance, one might think that you are unable to use the two together, but using the iWork app and the Google Drive app together, a connection can be made very easily. The thing that we all have to get used to, which took me a little bit to wrap my brain around, was that Google Drive is now cloud storage, not just for Google formatted, Google friendly documents. I can put any kind of document that I want in my Google Drive for safe keeping. This does not mean that Google can open it, but it does mean that I can save it there and access it from accessible programs or apps anywhere that I need to. 

In order to do this, I follow the steps below. See the video below for a quick visual of the steps being performed.
  • To begin, I will select the open in another app export function. 
  • Then I select the file type that I wish to export it as (in most cases I choose Pages format because I may want to go back and modify the document) .
  • I then select the "Choose App" option and select the "Open in Google Drive" option.
  • The iPad will switch over to the Google Drive app and ask if you would like to upload the file. Here, select "Upload" and it will be uploaded to Google Drive. 
  • When you want to pull it back into the iWork app, just select the file from your Google Drive app, it will tell you that it cannot be opened by Google Drive, and you will select the "Open in..." option.
  • Choose the appropriate app (Pages, Keynote or Numbers) and it will be loaded back to that app for editing and further use.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Comments in Google Classroom

Leverage Data Validation in Google Forms

Google Drive: Share Google Files as Templates or View Only