View/Manage Versions of Non-Google Files in Google Drive

One of the many aspects of Google Drive that I enjoy is that they keep track of the history of all of my revisions on Google files. However, I stumbled upon a way (while watching Google's The Apps Show) that I can also keep track of my non-Google file revisions without having multiple copies of that document in my Drive. I like this because it helps with people who may not want to switch over to Google's document editing and still want to easily manage their drafts of Office documents or PDFs.

Here's how to make this happen:

  1. Go to your Google Drive 
  2. Select the file that is not a Google file
  3. Click the menu button (also known as the actions button) or right click
  4. Choose "Manage Versions"
  5. Here you can see a list of all the versions of that document as well as
    • Upload new versions
    • Delete old versions
    • Download a version (doesn't have to be the current one)
    • Permanently save an older version (Google drive only keeps older versions for 30 days or the 100 most recent versions, whichever one come first)



Also, here's the link to Google's help page on this topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Private Comments in Google Classroom

Leverage Data Validation in Google Forms

Google Drive: Share Google Files as Templates or View Only